- 400 gr boneless chicken filet
- 125 gr mushrooms
- 125 gr onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 25 gr butter
- 25 gr white flour
- 150 gr meat stock
- 150 gr milk
- 100 gr double cream
- Mustard to taste
- 1 kg French fries
- 2 broccolis
- 4 puff pastry vol-au-vents
- Dice the chicken filet. Chop the onions, mushrooms, and garlic.
- Stir fry the chicken until just cooked. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Stir fry the mushrooms, onions, and garlic until cooked. Set aside.
- Melt the butter on a low heat. Add all the flour at once and stir together to form a roux using a spatula. Cook for 5 minutes on a low heat.
- Add the stock to the roux and stir until smooth using a whisk. Increase the heat. Continue stirring and adding the milk and cream you have a smooth sauce.
- Return to a simmer and cook for a couple of minutes to cook out the flour. Season to taste with salt, pepper, lemon juice and mustard.
- Mix the sauce with the cooked chicken, mushrooms, onions and garlic. Keep warm until needed.
- Reheat the vol-au-vent briefly in the oven.
- Cook the French fries.
- Cook the broccoli in plenty of lightly salted boiling water, drain, and serve.
- Serve the chicken vol-au-vent with the French fries and broccolis.
If the sauce is too thick, add some extra stock, milk, or cream.
The sauce is a close relative to a béchamel sauce. But with stock and cream and not just milk.
Make sure the stock you add to the roux is cold. The sauce will thicken when it comes to the boil again. if you start the sauce with a cold liquid, you have some time until the sauce thickens.