- 4 oranges
- 400 gr orange juice
- 30 gr white sugar
- 8 eggs
- 80 gr butter
- Zest the oranges. Press the oranges and measure the amount of juice needed. If not enough, add some juice from a carton.
- Warm the orange juice, orange zest and white sugar until the sugar has dissolved.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs. Pour in some of the warm orange juice and whisk again until smooth.
- Pour this back in the pan with the remaining orange juice.
- Bring the orange curd gently up to 75°C stirring continuously without boiling the orange curd until the curd thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and add the diced butter. Allow the butter to melt in the orange curd.
- Pour in a clean container and store in the fridge until needed.
At 65°C, the egg starts to bind the curd. At 75°C, the egg are cooked enough to be safe to eat.
The less butter you add, the thinner the curd will be.
Use a different fruit juice like lemon, lime, mango or raspberries.